20081009

Chesty Puller for President

While I was undergoing training at Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego, I had to put up with many stresses that would seem otherwise impossible. I had to put up with suicidal squad mates, sadistic Drill Instructors, and worst of all...people that do not care to vote. If there is anything in America that upsets me more, it is those that "choose" not to vote. Men and women died to ensure that we can vote, and yet these "Americans" do not exercise this right. It's "their choice" not to vote because "it doesn't count anyways". Non-voters are typically the first to complain about any issue. Even more-so disgusting: the recruits in my platoon had no intention of voting for the next President of the United States of America.

Let me break it down for you:
Here in America, there is a Military.
This Military is responsible for protecting America and its interests.
Here in America, we vote for someone to make decisions for us.
This person is the President.
He is Commander-in-Chief of the Military.
More-so importantly, the Marine Corps' purpose is to carry out actions that the President may direct.
Even more interesting...we are Marines.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I see a significant importance to vote for the next President.

But which to vote for?

Although issues like Gay Marriage, Abortion, Immigration, etc. can be debated for years to come, there are a couple of issues that directly effect me even more than those aforementioned. Believe it or not, the United States is engaged in a Global War on Terrorism, with battles being fought on multiple fronts. Believe what you'd like, we will be involved in these conflicts for many years to come...or so I thought. Presidential hopeful Barack Obama wishes to withdraw U.S. troops from the battlefields and "bring the boys home". As enticing as this sounds, all that Obama will do is move the battlefield from halfway across the world, to American soil. No matter what is done by way of rebuilding or reparation, the terrorists will always try to do what they do best: instill terror. By withdrawing our forces from the Middle East, Obama will be making it easier for radical groups such as al-Qaida and the Mahdi Army to travel to the "Land of the Free". September 11 will look like child's play if American troops are withdrawn from the Middle East.

I believe in a series of checks and balances. The Marine Corps is considered America's "Force in Readiness". In better terms...America has a situation that needs to be dealt with, the Marines are called, and the problem is solved. "But what about Iraq and Afghanistan? Those are problems that are still raging on!" Yes, those two conflicts are still continuing, but only due to politics. The Marines have already proven that they can accomplish any mission, when given free mobility and means to do so. Don't believe me?...look up Operation Just Cause or even Operation Urgent Fury. The Japanese once said that the island of Tarawa would never be taken by "...a million men in a hundred years". How very true they were, because the island was under American control in a matter of days. I assure you it took far less than a million men to do so.

If I look back at history, I'm more than sure that this country was forged in battle, and that battle has made us what we are as Americans. We aren't afraid to back down from a challenge, no matter how insurmountable the odds may be. We fight, and we're damn good at it, too.

But what do I know? I don't understand anything, right? I'm "too young" to know any better. Listen up voters, if you won't vote for the President of America, at least do me a favor, and vote so that I can get a chance to exercise my right to protect this great Nation that I have come to love and hold dear to my heart. Give me the chance to go halfway around the world and protect the weak and defenseless. At least let me do that, since you can't do anything for yourselves.

1 comment:

august said...

I'm going to take a leap here: from the title of this entry, you would prefer a Commander-in-Chief who--not only comes from a military background--but also has [stellar] experience. Would you vote for McCain?